Sunday, April 5, 2020

Modern World History: The Corona Virus Version


As we head into the end of this year my hope is that everyone is healthy and doing well with "staying in place". While 4th quarter is always very busy at SCPA, this is a whole new level of "things we weren't expecting".  Consequently I am going to provide you with some artifacts to help you consider the topics we would have studied had we been in school. 

My only expectation is that you will look at the posts and pages (at the right side of the blog) that I will be providing in the days that come and that you will comment where asked. If you are interested in delving deeper into the topics, I can give you the projects that we would have done in class and you can extend your knowledge.

Make sure you are logged in using your CPS gmail account. 
Comments from non-CPS emails will be deleted. 
Keep in mind that this is a public blog and we need to use best practices in posting.

I will be checking to see that you have responded to the prompts on Friday evenings. Please make sure to complete your thoughtful comments by the end of the day (11:59pm).


Stay Healthy!

2 comments:

  1. HI! I was wondering, how much backlash was there to the contents of the declaration of human rights? Some of those ideals were certainly not being upheld in the US, especially in the black community, so was there any prominent criticism of the document based on it's hypocrisy? Also, was this document ever used to justify beliefs? In court or just casually, was the document ever used to, for instance, fight for marriage equality, as it talk about 'everyone's right to marriage'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me say up front that I am not very well read on the topic of the writing of the UDHR. That said, there was a good deal of backlash ranging from those who saw the document as unnecessary to those who did no think it went far enough. My sense is that those who worked on creating the document were mostly thinking about the horrors of the Holocaust and considering what a truly just and righteous society would look like but not necessarily prescribing a way to get there. I just ordered these books: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights Origins, Drafting, and Intent by Johannes Morsink and A World Made New: Eleanor Roosevelt and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights Front Cover by Mary Ann Glendon. I can share them with you when I am done and hopefully better answer your questions..

    ReplyDelete